Sunday, March 20, 2016

Letters now in order


I have almost finished arranging the many Dittes letters from Germany in order.  Most of them start in 1946 and end in 1951, the hardest years for our German cousins after World War II ended.  

What strikes me at this point is that my Aunt Frances here in Tennesee corresponded with all these people while carrying a full teaching load as a college professor and taking care of an ailing older sister.  She was in her mid 50's at the time and must have been an expert using her time.  Just reading all thee letters takes time.  

Keeping up and sending them desperately needed supplies shows great unselfishness on her part.

We still have a few letters from Friedrich Ditttes to mount.  I hope to complete it soon.  I leave for Germany one week from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment